Saturday, August 10, 2013

K. L. Platt Interview



Today I had the pleasure of sitting down to visit with K. L. Platt (Karen L Cullen), for an interview.



Why don't you tell us about yourself and how you came to want to write?

Well, I can't remember a time I didn't want to write. I love writing, I wrote a story for my daughters 13th birthday and printed it out, as a gift. After she had finished reading Breaking Dawn she said she would love to know what happened next, and told her I would write a short story for her. Four and a half years later, I finished Sunrise, my very first fan fiction.


When you create your characters, do you base them off of people you know in real life, or do they come strictly from your imagination?

I kind of pick from each. Some names are people I know, or appearances, or characteristics. I find then they are more believable.


What is your favorite genre to read, and what genre do you prefer to write?

To read, it would have to be fantasy. Mainly vampires or wizards, the books that can take you to another world, or back to feeling like a child. I love those. Favorite genre to write, I would say is m/m romance. I love how both partners are equal, and it can be rough as well as gentle. It just seems more powerful and erotic.


I tend to agree with your thoughts, on writing M/M. It's difficult for me to read or write HET anymore, to me it just doesn't compare. Do you think this is part of the reason so many more readers are turning to M/M fics, because the emotions are so much more raw and erotic?

Yes, I think it is. Even with a weaker character and a dominant character, in m/m it is still very raw and powerful.


What do your family and friends think of you getting published? Are they supportive of your M/M writing?

My kids and hubs and parents know what I write, and are fully supportive of it. I haven't really had any negative feedback from friends who know, either. I am lucky.


You've recently been accepted by Renaissance Romance Publishing, for an original story. How did you feel, once you'd submitted? What was your reaction when you heard your story had been accepted?

Oh wow! I was so scared, as I have had other rejections from other publishers. When I was accepted I literally did a happy dance, and it still doesn't seem real.


Your published works will be part of Renrom's Fall Fires collection, correct? Can you tell us anything about it without giving anything away?

Yes. It's a story about challenges, how two people grow with one another from childhood, the teens to adults.


Do you have more writing in the works? If so, can you tell us anything about that?

Yes, I am in the middle of writing my first fantasy story, called Nephlim. Nephlims are half human, half angel. I can give you a rough teaser if you like?

Final look at the place I had called my home for eons, a place I was now being exiled from; merely for loving someone and her bearing my child. In front of me Soryan glows in it’s early morning magnificence. The lush greenery of the hills that stretch out to the outer realms of the kingdom, the temperate forest of Lei with it’s golden leaves and amber tree barks looked ethereal in the sunrise. The gossamer river that flowed through the centre of Soryan sparkled like a jewelled ribbon as it curved its course through the village. 

“It is time,” Bradox barked behind me causing me to tense as he grabbed my wings roughly, closing my eyes I took a long breath then exhaled. 

“Let’s get it over with,” I responded curtly. He’s safe? Jayden my son you promised.” 

“We said he would be, we do not break our promises.” 

Bradox chided as he pushed me to my knees. Bending my head I waited for the first cut of the sharp blade that was to relinquish me of my wings, rendering me human, able to grow old, become sick and eventually pass on. The first cut felt like a hot blade searing my skin causing me to cry out and fall forward, grasping the dew covered grass with my hands. White feathers billowed around me and I closed my eyes to the sight.

Great imagery! Sounds like a great adventure.

Where do you hope to see yourself in five years, where your writing is concerned?

In five years I would love to be writing full time.


Finally, how did you end up with your pen name?

I chose my pen name for two reasons. First, it was my grandma's married name and she was always a source of inspiration and guidance to me. Second, because my uncle used to write and I lost him last year. He never got to publish so this is a way of having the Platt name published.


Thank you so much, Karen, for taking time away from your family to spend with me today. I look forward to reading your original fiction, and all of your new writing to come.

Karen's links:

Blog   http://fromtheheartofklplatt.weebly.com/index.html   
Author page   https://www.facebook.com/pages/K-L-Platt/144866772345643



  

No comments:

Post a Comment